KWAM1 Barred from Flying in Nigeria for 6 Months After Confrontation

KWAM1 Barred from Flying in Nigeria for 6 Months After Confrontation

NCAA Blacklist KWAM1 Over Airpot Incident

There’s been no shortage of drama in Nigeria’s aviation space lately. Just days after the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) announced plans to sanction aviation operators for violating passengers’ rights, the industry is once again in the spotlight, this time, involving the legendary Fuji star, K1 de Ultimate, and a tense face-off with airline officials at Abuja airport.

While the pilots involved in the incident were swiftly suspended, the public had demanded equal accountability for everyone involved, including the music icon himself.

According to the NCAA, K1 de Ultimate has now been blacklisted from flying within Nigeria for six months following the confrontation, which occurred at the domestic terminal of the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja.

Michael Achimugu, the Director of Public Affairs and Consumer Protection at the NCAA, confirmed the development during a press briefing on Thursday, stating that the decision was part of efforts to uphold aviation safety and discipline.

“What I must assure the general public is that everybody involved in this will be brought to book,” Achimugu said. “As we speak, the passenger is going to be blacklisted for the next six months flying in Nigeria.”

He emphasized that aviation rules are globally recognized and apply to all, regardless of status. “No individual will be exempt from accountability. We will do everything we can to get to the root of it,” he added.

Further actions are already in motion. The NCAA has written to both the Attorney General of the Federation and the Inspector General of Police to initiate legal proceedings against the veteran musician.

Meanwhile, the Minister of Aviation and Aerospace Development, Festus Keyamo, has weighed in, confirming that K1 has been placed on a temporary no-fly list pending the conclusion of investigations.

In a statement posted on his official X handle, Keyamo revealed that reports and video footage submitted by relevant aviation agencies showed a disturbing escalation of events. “My preliminary impression is that it was obviously a case of temporary loss of sanity and control on both sides, which could have led to serious fatalities,” he wrote.

Keyamo condemned what he described as “hostage-like” behavior, noting that the artist’s repeated movement on the tarmac to block the aircraft from taxiing was unacceptable. “This is totally unacceptable behaviour,” he said. “Whether he was carrying water or alcohol is not the point. Physically obstructing the aircraft from proceeding is the issue here.”

The Minister also criticized the perceived imbalance in accountability, stating that both airline crew and passengers must be held to the same standards. “What applies to the goose must also apply to the gander,” he said, instructing the NCAA to enforce the no-fly directive immediately across all domestic and international airlines operating in Nigeria.

The Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) had earlier released a statement confirming that it had begun investigating the incident, which took place on Monday, August 5, during the boarding of a ValueJet flight from Abuja to Lagos.

K1 was accused of attempting to board the plane with an item later identified as a flask containing liquid that exceeded the 100ml limit permitted under international aviation security protocols. Despite repeated warnings, he allegedly refused to comply, and at one point spilled the contents confirmed to be alcohol on a security officer.

However, the artist’s camp strongly denies any wrongdoing. In a statement issued by his media aide, Kunle Rasheed, K1 maintained that the flask contained regular drinking water given to him at the airport lounge. He said he made every effort to clarify the issue before it escalated unnecessarily.

The statement also insisted that the artist never blocked the plane or threatened safety, describing media reports as exaggerated. “K1 remained calm and cooperative throughout. He did not act in a manner that endangered lives,” the statement read.

It further claimed that senior airport and airline officials later apologized for the misunderstanding, even offering to fly the musician to Lagos on a private jet at no cost.

As of Friday morning, NCAA had circulated the no-fly order to all commercial airlines. Legal proceedings against the Fuji star are expected to begin in the coming days.

If you enjoyed this article, click here to read more informative posts, also check us out on Instagram for fun and engaging content. 

Disclaimer: The opinions, views, and information expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy, position, or views of iNaijanow. The company assumes no liability for any errors, omissions, or damages arising from the use of this information.

Please follow and like us:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *